Exploring the distinct writing styles of interviews and journals is essential in the realm of effective communication and documentation. Interviews capture dynamic conversations, while journals provide personal reflections. Understanding these styles equips writers with the skills to engage readers, extract insights from interviews, and express personal experiences with clarity and depth.
It is not just essay writing that is included in the world of writing but also critical essays, reviews, research paper writing, journals, interviews as well as reports. All of them have different characters that add a special quality to them.
Interview writing is a work of bringing to the audience a live interaction between the interviewer and the interviewee in the form of words. I remember, when I was in the eleventh standard, my teacher gave me homework.
Knowing the Two Writing Styles- Interview and Journal
Which was writing an interview with a famous personality. That time she dictated to us some points that helped me with homework. I am going to share those points here so that those who need help with it can benefit:
- The first step to writing an interview is taking an interview.
- Before going for an interview with a person, you must acquaint yourself well with the person. Research well because this research would give you help with homework in the following steps.
-> This process would help you frame your questions in a better manner, in fact also in cross-questioning the person.
-> If you have much knowledge about the person, you are bound to impress them and your interview process would become more comfortable and conversational.
- Include the person’s accomplishments in your questions and question the person on some significant events of their life. That would offer a way for the person to open himself to the readers and put forth their viewpoint.
- A day before your interview, make a set of questions and prepare a well-researched questionnaire. You may make further improvisations as and when you like but the initial focus should be on being well-prepared.
Do proper homework on the person and your research work would provide you 100% help in homework.
- Don’t forget to take prior permission and appointment for the interview. The people to be interviewed, do not have all the time in the world to sit and engage in a question-answer session, therefore take a further appointment, and specify the time your process may take so that the other person may plan accordingly.
- On the day of the interview, do not forget to keep a notepad, a pen, and most importantly, a tape recorder.
- When you reach for an interview, greet the person, get comfortable, and start the discussion. And once you are done, again greet the person, and convey your gratitude to them for sharing the valuable time.
- Now when you sit down to put your work into words, first arrange the rough draft properly. And then come up with a well-organized interview in the proper format.
- Give your interview an attractive title. The title is the one thing that attracts the readers, so make your title so creative that it captures the readers’ attention.
Either quotes a dialogue or a line the interviewee spoke during the interview or some popular tag that the person is or has been addressed.
- There are two ways to compile your interview- direct speech and indirect speech with some direct quotations.
- End on a positive note. This makes the interview more pleasing.
- Remember not to add or subtract points from the ones given by the person interviewed
Another essential type of writing is journal writing- which is a piece of informal writing. Journals may serve different purposes -either personal or creative or even informative.
A journal is a piece of information that details things from your own experiences to official documents and can even be used to record financial transactions.
There are certain advantages of keeping a journal. Among them, a few are:
- You can remember the minutest of details if you are in the habit of keeping a journal.
For example, if you have visited a place and you write about it in your journal then you will be able to access the details even years after that. The journal that helps you keep track of details and help you out when you need them, is called an official journal.
- It can establish connections between your social groups. If you are in a habit of mentioning each and every person as well as events, then you may be able to connect with some of your older friends of yours.
Today, technology can be used as an alternative to it.
- journals can help you express yourself in a better manner. People who speak less can write down almost every feeling they have and every idea that strikes their minds. Thus, they can vent their emotions in this form.
- One of the most important functions of writing journals is that it preserves history.
Let us now discuss a few points that make a good journal:
- Choose the kind of journal you want to write on. Personal ones may or may not be necessary, but official ones are.
- Try keeping a diary and pen with you wherever you go because ideas see no time or place to strike your mind. If you don’t carry them, you may miss out on some of the important details you witness. Today, even electronic devices serve the purpose too.
- Do not forget to date your entry whether you are writing an official journal, a scholarly journal, or a personal one.
- Be truthful about the points you write both in official as well as personal journals.
- Do not miss any critical detail while writing your journal because these details connect the dots in the event.
- Jot down your experience- what did you feel at that moment and what reaction did you have and state the reason for such feeling and response. This establishes a connection between the reader and the writer.
practicing the art of interview and journal writing offers a helpful toolkit for efficient expression and communication. These communication techniques offer flexible ways to express ideas and experiences, whether the goal is to engage, inform, or reflect. By improving these skills, writers are able to communicate more effectively with readers and capture the essence of their themes or personal journeys, which will boost the impact of their writing.